THE aim of the Phela Friends (life skills) project is to train club leaders in Primary and Secondary Schools around Lesotho. These leaders are trained on life skills so as to act as peer educators to others.
Since introducing life skills as a subject in 2009 as a subject, the Ministry of Education and Training in collaboration with the project has trained teachers in the 10 district of Lesotho in life skills. This is to equip them with skills to teach and guide students with life skills in and outside school.
The major objective of the Phela Friends (life skills) programme is to:
• Compliment life skills curriculum in Lesotho
• To establish extra curriculum activities
• To involve pupils in practical activities through clubs
• To equip young people with knowledge and skills to make informed life choices
• To equip young people with correct and up-to-date information on HIV and AIDS.
Club members and leaders are involved in various activities such as drama, debates, competitions, game and income generating activities.
The project also empowers juvenile inmates with life skills as part of their rehabilitation program.
The project is sponsored by Irish Aid.